When you have the device’s instruction manual, configure a GPS is a simple process, since you only have to follow the steps explained.
Turns out that getting instructions makes things easier! Giving ourselves the time we need to prepare and set up is the only thing required; since the manuals bring all the necessary information.
The essential elements to configure a GPS are the following:
- User manual or quick guide of devices to use
- 2 SIM cards, with active incoming and outgoing messages
- Programming cable and drivers for PC configuration
- Power source. Depending on the model used, a charger with the necessary voltage or directly to a vehicle is chosen, usually 12-24v. In case of being portable, only the device is charged with the cable that commonly comes in the tracker box
- Tools for electrical handling, such as: tweezers, voltmeter, insulation tape, among others.
The manual is one of the important elements to configure a GPS, since it shows the description and operation of the lines (cables) that the device has. This in case of being a tracker that requires an external power source.
It also contains information on the commands to configure the device with the given requirement.
In other words, it shows us the format that the information to upload to the GPS device should have. This can be:
Server and port
They are the data of the platform to which we want to connect the device.
In some devices it is necessary to switch to tracking mode or GPRS activation, so it sends data automatically and constantly to the platform.
Update time or distance
It is necessary to enter the update time that is required, so the GPS performs and sends the necessary evaluation of positioning, orientation, time and sensors, automatically.
In some cases the devices have a power saving mode. This is useful so as not to consume the energy of the vehicle’s battery, in case it is turned off for a long time.
If you require any specific evaluation, it is recommended to check the technical sheet. As well as confirm that the device has the capacity to meet the requirements, before buying a model.
Types of configurations
There are several ways to configure a GPS, which will depend on the capacity of each model. Among them:
The GPS device connects to the configuration interface from a computer, thanks to the previously made Bluetooth connection.
Serial Port Configuration
The device is physically connected via a cable to the port on the computer. The cable is essential in this type of configuration, since, in most cases, it is a special one. In addition to taking into account the correct frequency for sending data to the GPS.
Configuration by SMS
Setting up via text message from one phone number to another connected on the device is a bit easier; since the commands come in a shorter format, with few parameters. Once sent, a confirmation is received from the GPS.
Steps to configure a GPS
The basic steps to configure a GPS are as follows:
- Request user manuals or configuration from the device supplier.
- Check the power lines needed to power on the device.
- Connect the necessary cables to an external source, in case the device requires it. For portable devices, only connect the charger.
- Find the commands to configure Server and Port, so that they can connect to the platform, while configuring other parameters.
- Send the commands by any of the means that the GPS allows.
- Verify with a “Check” command the application of the configuration.
To check that the GPS has been correctly configured, the parameters can be read, when the device is connected to the configuration interface from the computer.
If it was done by SMS, the data can be verified with the “Check” command.
If you need help setting up a GPS, don’t hesitate to contact us. One of our agents will give you the advice you need.
You may also be interested in: Basic guide to install a GPS with DeltaTracking